Your source for expert commentary on IP management issues.
Go to the blog
Editor-in-Chief, Anatole Krattiger
Conferences, Workshops, & Seminars
Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
Continuing Education & Training
Professional Development Courses
AUTM upcoming events regularly includes the following offerings:
- AUTM Basic Licensing Course: for professionals who are new to technology transfer
- AUTM TOOLS Course: for technology transfer office administrative and support staff.
- Advanced Topics in Startup Business Development: provides participants with advanced methods and insights for achieving success at each stage of the startup process
- AUTM Graduate Course: specifically for seasoned technology transfer professionals who want to hone skills and enhance capabilities. The curriculum features interactive sessions with leaders in the field.
- AUTM Executive Forum: Senior technology transfer professionals gather at an open, cooperative retreat to discuss issues that are shaping the future of academic technology transfer.
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Concord, NH, USA
Comprehensive Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) Seminar
An annual seminar, vital for patent attorneys, patent agents and patent administrators, provides participants in-depth knowledge and understanding of the PCT.
Licensing Executive Society (LESI)
Education Courses Worldwide
Courses offered by national and regional chapters around the globe include:
- Technology Transfer Seminars
- Basic Licensing Courses
- Fundamentals of Intellectual Asset Management
- Intermediate Intellectual Asset Management
Technology Transfer Training Programme
Praxis is a practitioner-led, independent, not-for-profit company
whose aim is to provide the best quality practitioner-delivered training to people who develop research into commercially viable ideas.
A range of courses and masterclasses available throughout the year are
held at venues across the UK.
Courses are 3 day residential and encourage networking as well as practice based learning.
Masterclasses are 1 day and provide in depth knowledge of a specialist area.
- Fundamentals of technology transfer
- Research contracts
- Advanced licensing
- Spin-out company formation
- Business development
- Advanced intellectual property
- Non-patent IPR
- Market research
- Negotiation skills
Michigan State University, Institute of International Agriculture
East Lansing, MI, USA
An International Internship Program in Intellectual Property Rights (IPR):
Technology Transfer, Use and Management
A one-week internship program in IPR with focus on technology transfer, use and management within the context of GATT/WTO. This program provides hands-on training in the day-to-day handling of IPR issues in several settings including university, business and legal environments.
- Fundamentals of Intellectual Property (IP)
- Basics of intellectual property: What is IP; copyrights; trademarks; trade secrets; patents; plant variety protection/plant breeder's' rights. - Intellectual property policy, institutional policies; national policies. - Marketing of intellectual property licensing; public distribution; sales. - Management of intellectual property uses; follow through; long-term relationship building.
- Patenting and Patent Laws
- Setting up of a Technology Use and Management Program
- Visits to the Intellectual Property Offices of selected universities, private companies, and private patent attorneys
University of California at Berkeley Extension
Berkeley, CA, USA
Business & Management, Intellectual Property Law Course
Course provides an up-to-date examination of patent, copyright, trademark, and trade-secret law in the high-tech commercial sector. Special attention is given to the Internet, software licensing, recent technological developments, and recent trends in the legislative and legal arenas. This course can be of particular use to owners of businesses, educators, engineers, administrators, business managers, scientists, contract negotiators, project managers, programmers, systems analysts, lawyers, inventors, corporate executives, purchasing professionals, and others involved in the creation, acquisition, use, sale, marketing, licensing, and ownership of intellectual property.
WIPO Academy Distance Learning
- General Course on Intellectual Property
This course covers the main areas of intellectual property, namely copyright, related rights, patents, trademarks, geographical indications, industrial design, plant breeders' rights, unfair competition and international registration systems.
- Biotechnology and Intellectual Property
This advanced course aims to illustrate how you can use the current IP system to protect and commercialize your biotechnological invention. After completing the study of this course, you should be able to develop a sound knowledge of the different legal instruments related to protection of your biotechnology invention and execute a strategy for commercializing your invention.
WIPO List of Courses on Intellectual Property